Creating a fulfilling and intimate relationship
Many of us choose to share our lives with another person who is our partner through either the whole or a significant part of our life. A healthy relationship is where each person in a couple can be open and share their authentic needs with each other. In this way they get their needs met at least the majority of the time.
1. Sometimes this process gets interrupted and our relationship becomes turbulent, painful or a struggle. Some examples of what can cause this are:
2. Pressures outside the relationship keeping people apart such as work commitments;
3. Relationships outside the marriage that can affect the couple such as friends, family and children;
4. Not understanding or knowing how to communicate and get each other’s needs met within the relationship; and
5. Fear of intimacy due to past experiences.
What Counselling can offer
Couples counselling is a process where with the proactive support of a counsellor the couple can explore what went wrong and find ways to resolve the problems they are having. This typically involves using the couples’ problem solving ability to come up with their own way through their problems.
Sometimes couples can decide that their best option is to dissolve the relationship and each find other partners that better meet their needs. Couples counselling can also offer support through this process that can often be painful.
Links and Testimonials
For more information on couples counseling and how I work please see my interview on U tube that can be accessed from the following link